Ice Cream Sandwiches are a classic frozen treat. Sure you could just go buy some from the store, but with a little extra effort you can make an amazing homemade ice cream sandwiches that tastes fantastic and is customizable. You can fill it with whatever flavor of ice cream you want. Vanilla is always a great choice but how about using strawberry, cookies and cream, or mint chocolate chip.
It only takes 4 ingredients to make and you end up with 2 layers of thick, chewy chocolaty goodness surrounding the ice cream layer. You could even fill it with your own homemade ice cream if you want to take it up a notch higher. I did stick with classic vanilla when making mine and the family LOVED them.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 family box family size brownie mix (I used Betty Crocker Fudge brownie mix)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 (1/2 gallon) carton of ice cream (the rectangular carton type works best)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 2 (9 x13 inch) baking dishes with foil or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the butter, brownie mix, eggs, and water until combined. You want it all to be wet but some lumps will remain.
- Divide batter evenly between to 2 prepared pans and spread out even cover the bottom of both pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Open carton of ice cream. If using the rectangular type. slice ice cream into 6 slices and place ice cream slices over 1 pan of the baked brownie.
- Allow the ice cream to soften slightly and spread evenly over brownie. An offset spatula comes in handy here if you have one!
- Remove other brownie from pan and set upside on top of ice cream.Gently press down to secure with ice cream. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer and cut into 15 ice cream sandwiches.
- Wrap each sandwich with plastic wrap and place in a gallon sized freezer bag. Will store for up to 1 month in the freezer. Makes 15 sandwiches
Recipe adapted from Tablespoon.com.