When I was planning my ice cream week, I wanted an ice cream recipes for the kids in the kitchen recipe. I really wasn’t thrilled with what i was finding out there so I chose to make my own recipe. As a kids, I loved ice cream sandwiches so I decided to make a homemade version. I wanted it to be simple enough and I wanted a soft cookie base. I elected to use a version of the cake mix cookies I have shared before. The cookies always end up nice and soft. I also used the chocolate fudge cake to make the traditional chocolate cookie found in ice cream sandwiches, but you can use any cake mix you would like to experiment with.
Next thing is we are just using store bought ice cream to make it simple. I tried mine with 3 different kinds of ice cream. I use my family’s favorite vanilla – Country Rich from Walmart. Then I used Dreyer’s Nestle Tollhouse Cookie Dough Ice Cream and their new Slow Churned Limited Edition S’mores Ice Cream. I must say all three ice creams were fantastic inside these cookies! I need to buy more of the S’mores ice cream. That one was my favorite and since it is a limited edition flavor I need to get it while I can!Print
- 1 (18.25 oz) Chocolate Fudge cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 gallon of ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, and canola oil.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until ingredients are mixed with together and it looks like cookie dough. You don’t want any dry cake mix to remain.
- Drop spoonfuls (or use a cookie scoop) on a baking sheet. You will need 2 sheets in order to use up all of the dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the baking sheet and allow to cool on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Allow your ice cream to soften slightly if needed. This can be done by letting the carton sit on the counter for a minute or two.
- Place a scoop of ice cream on a cookie. Place another cookie on top and gently press the cookies together to slightly flatten the ice cream. Repeat this process with the remaining cookies, but only assemble them when you are ready to eat them.
- Makes 10-12 ice cream sandwiches. I got 11.
Recipe is a Real Mom Kitchen original.