I love root beer floats! At our house, we are particular about our root beer. From the time my daughter was small, she referred to our root beer of choice as “dog root beer” otherwise known as Mug Root Beer. If you are unfamiliar with Mug Root Beer, it has a bull dog as part of it’s logo.
Since I love the flavor of root beer floats, I thought a frozen root beer float pie would be equally as tasty and it was. It may look a little strange while you are making it, but the results are fabulous. It is chilly, creamy, and full of root beer flavor.
- 1 (3.4 oz) pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup cold root beer
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp root beer extract (I use Shillings root beer concentrate)
- 1 (8 oz) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 prepared graham cracker crust
- maraschino cherries, optional for garnish
- In a bowl, whisk together the pudding mix, root beer, milk, and extract for about 2 minutes until it thickens.
- Fold half of the Cool Whip into the pudding mixture and spread into the prepared graham cracker crust. Place in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Remove pie from the fridge and spread remaining Cool Whip over the pie. Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours.
- Slice pie and top each slice with a maraschino cherry if desired. Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from Spend with Pennies.