BBQ pork is always a must for summer! It’s also excellent to serve up for dad on Father’s Day! Now today’s recipe is called classic bbq pork. However, the taste and flavor is classic but the ingredients used are not necessarily classic.
This uses brown sugar along with some taco seasoning to make a rub. The taco seasoning actually has a lot of the same ingredients used in bbq cooking.
It is also cooked along with lemon lime soda which works to add moisture and tenderize the meat while it cooks. It all gets finished off with a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.
If you want to make it gluten free, be sure to use McCormick taco seasoning along with Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce. I have friends with gluten issue and have told me that these are the products to use when you want to go gluten free. Also, just skip the bun or roll or grab a gluten free version.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 lb boneless pork roast
- 1 (12 oz) can lemon lime soda
- 1 (16 oz) bbq sauce
- 12 to 16 rolls or buns
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper to create a rub.
- Rub mixture all over the pork roast and place in a slow cooker.
- Pour lemon lime soda around the roast and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Remove most of the liquid from the pot after cooking. You want about 1/4 cup of to keep the meat moist.
- Shred meat and mix in bbq sauce.
- Cook on high for 15 minutes to warm the sauce with the meat.
- Then serve on buns. Serves 12-16.
Recipe adapted from Quick and Easy Cookbook.