August is the Sunday of summer! I can’t believe it is coming to an end. When I get to this point in summer, I do a big push for meals on the grill like this bbq cola chicken. Granted grilling season can go past August, but in Utah you just never know when it is going to end. Sometimes it comes to a quick end. Other times, we can grill all the way through October.
Since I am pushing meals on the grill for my family that means more meals on the grill for you. This is a simple bbq cola chicken recipe but the sauce is made from scratch. And that sauce includes the use of cola, which gives it a nice sweet flavor.
It really doesn’t take much more effort to make a homemade bbq sauce. The only thing that really takes time is it does have to simmer for a bit to get all of those flavors together and to reduce it down to a thicker consistency. Give this one a try instead of the usual chicken and bbq sauce from a bottle.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp grated onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup cola
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4–6 chicken breasts
- In a medium saucepan, add oil, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Then add in the cola, ketchup, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the chili powder, brown sugar, paprika, salt, and cumin. Rub spice mix over the chicken breasts.
- Take 1/3 cup of the sauce and seasoned chicken breasts to the grill. Grill over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side and baste with the 1/3 cup of sauce. Cook until chicken is fully cooked. Serve chicken with remaining sauce. Serves 4-6.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes.