When I was little and our family had spaghetti, this is the recipe that my mom made. The 45 minute spaghetti sauce has been a favorite of mine forever. Then when I got married, my husband detested spaghetti. I told him he needed to try mine, then if he still couldn’t stand spaghetti, I wouldn’t make it again. Well, he found my recipe to be palatable. So now, this is only recipe for spaghetti that I make and my oldest son requests it often.
It is definitely different than your typical Italian spaghetti sauce. I think the bacon in the recipe is what give this sauce it’s different flavor. I usually don’t add the olives because no one in my family likes them. But on occasion, if I have some in my refrigerator, I’ll throw some on my portion. I love the addition of the olives. My recipe for Divine Breadsticks goes great with this spaghetti.
- GARLIC POWDER OR SALT
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- TOMATO PASTE
- TOMATO SAUCE
- SLICED OLIVES
45 Minute Spaghetti Sauce
Real Mom Kitchen
- ¾ cup onion
- ½ lb hamburger
- ¼ lb bacon cooked and diced1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 to 3 dashes garlic powder or salt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup sliced olives optional
- cooked spaghetti
- In a large pot or skillet, cook onion with hamburger, until beef is fully cooked.
- Add remaining ingredients except for olives and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Then, if desired, add ¼ cup sliced olives. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti. Serves 4-6.
This is the original photo for this post. The above photo was updated in Oct. 2013.