This post may contain affiliate links.
When I was little and our family had spaghetti, this is the recipe that my mom made. The 45 minute spaghetti sauce has been a favorite of mine forever. Then when I got married, my husband detested spaghetti. I told him he needed to try mine, then if he still couldn’t stand spaghetti, I wouldn’t make it again. Well, he found my recipe to be palatable. So now, this is only recipe for spaghetti that I make and my oldest son requests it often.
It is definitely different than your typical Italian spaghetti sauce. I think the bacon in the recipe is what give this sauce it’s different flavor. I usually don’t add the olives because no one in my family likes them. But on occasion, if I have some in my refrigerator, I’ll throw some on my portion. I love the addition of the olives. My recipe for Divine Breadsticks goes great with this spaghetti.
- GARLIC POWDER OR SALT
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- TOMATO PASTE
- TOMATO SAUCE
- SLICED OLIVES
45 Minute Spaghetti Sauce
- ¾ cup onion
- ½ lb hamburger
- ¼ lb bacon, cooked and diced1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 to 3 dashes garlic powder or salt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced olives, optional
- cooked spaghetti
- In a large pot or skillet, cook onion with hamburger, until beef is fully cooked.
- Add remaining ingredients except for olives and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Then, if desired, add ¼ cup sliced olives. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti. Serves 4-6.
This is the original photo for this post. The above photo was updated in Oct. 2013.
[…] 45 Minute Spaghetti Sauce (original recipe here) […]
What size cans of tomato sauce and tomato paste are to be used? Thank you.
Love this recipe. Should one let it simmer for longer, to decrease the tartness in the tomato sauce?
[…] 45 Minute Spaghetti Sauce […]
[…] the time I married my husband, I found out that he does not like spaghetti. I made the recipe my mom makes for him and he would eat it (because it has bacon in it) but it still wasn’t a meal he would […]
How big of a can of tomato paste? Big or small (15 oz or 7 oz)? What about sauce? Big?