At our house when it comes to grilled cheese, my hubby and two younger kids cheese of choice is American while my older son and I are cheddar fans. I came across a recipe for Three Cheese Grilled Cheese from Sandra Lee that used both cheese when making the Tomato Soup recipe I shared yesterday. I decided to give it a try with a slight change.
It turned out great. You get that smooth creamy texture from the American cheese with the added flavor of the cheddar and Monterrey jack. The shredding of the cheese helps it melt with the American cheese and blend together. This just may be my new go to way for making this classic sandwich. Of course, I always make mine with butter, but you can use margarine if you prefer.
- AMERICAN CHEESE
- CHEDDAR/MONTERREY JACK CHEESE BLEND
Three Cheese Grilled Cheese
Real Mom Kitchen
- 8 slices of bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 deli slices American cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar/Monterrey Jack cheese blend
- Heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Butter 1 side of each slice of bread. Lay half of the bread, butter side down, in the pan.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese on the bread, followed by a slice of American cheese. Then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese on top of each slice of American cheese.
- Then top with the remaining bread slices, butter side up. Grill until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.