This post may contain affiliate links.
I have another grilled sandwich to share with all of you this week. This Smoked Gouda and Roast Beef Grilled Cheese uses smoked gouda for the cheese – which I LOVE! It has a nice creamy and smoky flavor. It works so well to really up the flavor of a grilled cheese sandwich.
Next, this sandwich also includes roast beef and caramelized red onion. Caramelized onions are an awesome thing to use on any sandwich. When you make some, make a lot and keep them in the fridge for when you want some. It adds such wonderful level of onion flavor that isn’t too over powering along with some sweetness. The addition of sage to these caramelized onions just adds a whole other level of savory flavor.
Smoked Gouda and Roast Beef Grilled Cheese
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp butter plus additional for spreading on bread
- 1 Tbsp chopped Fresh sage
- 8 sliced of sourdough or artisan bread
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 4 slices smoked gouda
- In a skillet, add butter and melt over medium heat. Add in the onion and sage and cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes stirring occasionally until onion is caramelized.
- Butter one side of ever slice of bread. In a skillet, place one slice of bread butter side down, Top with a slice of smoked gouda followed by 1/4 of the caramelized onions and 1/4 of the roast beef. Top with another slice of bread butter side up.
- Grill sandwich until both sides are golden brown. Repeat process with remaining ingredients until all sandwiches are cooked. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from Running in the Kitchen.