A good grilled cheese is a classic sandwich that is loved by all, so is a french dip sandwich. Today, we are going to combine those tasty classics together into some amazing french dip grilled cheese sandwiches.
This sandwich is made on slices of french bread. I like to buy a loaf from my local Walmart. You will also need some good deli sliced beef along with some slices of provolone cheese.
Now you’ll need some butter to spread on that bread. The magic happens here for this sandwich. Regular old butter is converted into a delicious savory seasoned butter. Au jus mix, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and dried onion combine with the butter to make one magnificent buttery spread for these french dip grilled cheese sandwiches. Oh, and don’t forget to finish it all off with au jus for dipping these french dip grilled cheese sandwiches in!
French Dip Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Real Mom Kitchen
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 pkg au jus mix divided
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 lb deli roast beef
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- In a bowl, mix together the butter, 1 Tbsp of the au jus mix, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and dried onion together.
- Add 2 cups of water to the remaining au jus mix to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Cut off the ends of the french bread, then slice into 12 slices.
- Pair off the slices of bread. Spread the butter on the outer sides of each slice of bread. Place one slice in a skillet, butter side down. Top with a slice of provolone, some of the beef, another slice of cheese, followed by the other slice of bread butter side up. Grill until both sides are toasted golden brown. Continue the process until all six sandwiches have been cooked. Serve with au jus. Makes 6 sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from Chelsea’s Messy Apron.