Cube steak or cubed steak is a cut of beef, usually top round or top sirloin. It is tenderized and flattened by pounding with a meat tenderizer, or by using an electric tenderizer. The name refers to the shape of the indentations left by the tenderization process. This thin cut is a great value for everyday meals. This cut of meat is moat commonly used for chicken fried or country fried steak.
The results of cooking this cut of beef with this method of cooking with the Instant Pot is fork tender meat. I highly recommend serving these steaks with with a side of mashed potatoes. It is the perfect way to enjoy that flavor gravy that comes with these steaks.
- 1–2 lbs of cube steaks
- 1 pkg Au Jus mix
- 1 (10 oz) can french onion soup
- 1 (10 oz) can water
- 1 Tbsp steak sauce, optional
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch plus 2 Tbsp water
- Place the cube steak in the Instant Pot. Sprinkle the Au Jus mix over the steaks.
- Pour the can of onion soup ove the steaks. Fill the same can with water and pour in.
- Place the lid on the pot and make sure the valve is set to seal. Set to cook on manual for 4 minutes.
- Do a natural pressure release for 5 minutes then quick release.
- Remove the steaks from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Turn your Instant Pot on to saute. Mix the corn starch with the 2 Tbsp water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the grave and cook until thickened.
- Serve steaks with a side of mashed potatoes and the gravy. Serves 4-5.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes plus time to come to pressure
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Adventures of a Nurse.