My family has enjoyed burrito bowls for dinner. I wanted to incorporate the grilling season and came up with this easy grilled steak burrito bowl. I have a set amount of ingredients that we used but feel free to change it up to what your family likes.
It all begins with the steak. It gets a good soaking in a flavorful marnate before it hits the grill. it has olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, and cilantro. A good marinade has some type of acid in it. That is what helps break down the fibers in the meat to make them tender,. This marinade has both vinegar and lime juice.
We are also using a flank steak for this. Flank steak is perfect for marinating. It also cooks fast on the grill. It only takes about 5 minutes for side. Cook time will depend on how well done you like your steak. We like it to be medium to medium well.
Nest in this burrito bowl is a base of rice. I used just regular stamed rice. However, cilantro lime or any other kind of Mexican flavored rice will work. Heck, you could use another grain like quinoa if you prefer.
Last is the topping for the bowl. We used shredded cheese, salsa, roasted corn, pinto beans, guacamole, and ranch dressing. However, feel free to use whatever you like or prefer.
Grilled Steak Burrito Bowls
Real Mom Kitchen
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 Flank Steak
- salsa or pico de gallo
- shredded cheese
- roasted corn **see note
- pinto beans or black beans
- ranch dressing creamy tomatillo ranch, or spicy ranch dressing
- For the marinade: In a bowl, whisk the oil, soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, cu,imn. and cilantro together.
- Place the steak in a gallon sized ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Allow to sit in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours, flipping halfway through.
- Minutes before grilling, remove the meat from the fridge to sit on the counter. Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Turn down to medium heat and cook steak for 5-7 minutes per side.
- Place cooked rice in the bottom of the bowl and top with the steak alsong with the desired toppings. Serves 6.
This recipe is adapted fro Oh Sweet Basil.