This 30 minute salisbury steak is a great option for a quick weeknight dinner. You serve it with a savory mushroom gravy that pairs perfectly with hot mashed potatoes.
I have several versions of salisbury steaks on my site, some have different cooking methods. Each version is delicious in it’s own way. I personally love how quick this recipe is and that it includes mushrooms in the gravy. I LOVE mushrooms and I get all of them. No one else likes mushrooms here.
This 30 minute salisbury steak is perfect to serve along side some mashed potatoes. You can fix them how you want them. You could even use instant potatoes. However, you could cook egg noodles or rice to serve along with it instead.
Recently, I had a friend who has never had salisbury steak before. She asked me to tell her what it is. The meat mixture is very similar to meat loaf. I told her it is basically like meatloaf, but you shape the meat into patties and serve it with gravy.
Just add some cooked veggies to complete this meal for the family. This is a great comfy homemade meal that your whole family with enjoy.Print
- For the steaks:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg
- For the gravy:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8 oz. brown mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the steaks – combine all the ingredients for the steaks in a bowl and mix completely. Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts, then shape the meat into oval size patties, about 3/4″ thick.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil. Add the patties to the skillet and sear the patties for about 3 minutes on each side, until a nice golden brown crust is formed on each side. You are just searing the patties and not cooking them all the way. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- For the gravy – in the same skillet you seared the patties, add the onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in mushrooms and cook until browned, another 3 minutes. Finally stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Melt the 2 tbsp of butter into the onions and mushrooms then stir in the flour. Cook until the mixture is thick, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and gradually stir in the beef broth, until the mixture becomes smooth. Season with the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Return steak patties to the skillet and nestle into the gravy. Cover and cook about 10 minutes, until the internal temperature of the steak patties reaches 160 degrees F.
- Serve salisbury with hot mashed potatoes on the side. Serves 4.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from I Wash You Dry.