These easy pizza cupcakes are gonna be a hit with the kids. You can use them as an appetizer, a snack, a lunch, a dinner, or as a side dish. They work for just about anything. I like the idea of a savory version of something that is usually sweet.
They have a base batter type dough. It is made from flour, baking powder, milk, salt, and eggs. There is also some Italian seasoning mix in there to to bring that pizza flavor. The dough itself has more of a muffin consistency.
Once you have the dough, you are going to make layeres in each muffin cup. You add a little dough into each muffin cup followed by some cheese and the pizza sauce. You repeat the layers and then top each cupcake with mini pepperonis or sausage crumbles.Print
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce plus additional for serving if desired
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup mini pepperoni or cooked sausage
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a muffin tin gereously with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, herbs and salt.
- Add in the milk and eggs. Whisk together until combined.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of batter into the bottom of each muffin cups. Then use 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the batter in each muffin cup. Then add a layer of sauce. Use the whole amount of sauce between all the cupcakes. Then use another 1/2 cup of cheese and add a layer of cheese again. This keeps the sauce in the center the cupcake.
- Lastly top with a few mini pepperonis. Repeat the process until you’ve filled all 12 cupcakes.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the remaining batter on the top of each pizza cupcake
- Top each pizza cupcake with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and pepperonis.
- Bake a 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and puffed. Serve warm with additional sauce if desired. Makes 12 cupcakes.
- Category: Pork
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Gemma’s Bigger Boulder Baking.