Teriyaki chicken rice bowls are a great meal for summer and can actually be a pretty healthy meal. One of the main things to make it healthy is to serve it with brown rice.
One down side to brown rice is it does take longer to cook than regular white rice. However, the healthy benefits are worth the extra time. Minute rice does have a brown rice available that cooks fast and I have used that before. Usually, I just cook my brown rice in my rice cooker.
The teriyaki sauce is simple enough to make on your own. It is made from brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch. You just cook the chicken a skillet. Then you add the sauce ingredients and cook until thickened. So simple and easy.
Next in the vegetables. This is where you can choose what your family likes. You can also us this recipe to use up veggies you may have in the fridge that need to be used up. You just need to steam them. For easy of preparation I like to just buy the frozen stir fry vegetables that are in a steamable bag. For my WW Personal Points, this recipe is just 6 points!
- BROWN RICE
- PRE-CUT FRESH STIR-FRY VEGETABLES, STEAMED (I USED FROZEN)
- LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE
- RICE OR APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- GROUND GINGER
- CLOVES OF GARLIC
- BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
Click here to get you WW Personal Points for this recipe.
- 3 cups brown rice
- 12 oz pre-cut fresh stir-fry vegetables, steamed (I used frozen)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- Cook the rice by your preferred method. I cook mine in my rice cooker.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and corn starch. Set aside.
- Steam your vegetables and keep warm.
- Add you chicken to a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes until fully cooked. Whisk the sauce mixture again and add to the skillet with the cooked chicken.
- To make the bowls, at some rice to the bowl. Then top with some of the steamed vegetables followed by some of the teriyaki chicken. Serves 6.
This recipe is adapted from I Heart Naptime.