These grilled Hawaiian teriyaki chicken bowls are a perfect summer meal. They all begin with coconut rice for the base. I used the Instant Pot recipe that I shared on Tuesday. I just left out the lime zest. However, I have a version for the rice cooker if you’d prefer to make it that way.
Next, these is a veggie mixture that you can grill in a grill basket on the grill or roast in the over. Either way works great. You just give them a light coating of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. This recipe uses zucchini, peppers, and onion. I do think some mushrooms would be a nice addition though.
You also grill some chicken. I opted for chicken tenders because they cook up so fast. However, feel free to use regular chicken breasts if you prefer. All I did was season the chicken with a little salt and pepper before grilling.
Next up is grilled fresh pinepple. Fresh pinapple is great by itself, but some thing magin happens when you grill it. It gets even sweeter and gets some of that grill flavor with it.
Lastly is the teriyaki sauce, Now you could always opt to just pick some up at the store to use on these bowls. However, homemade teriyaki sauce is so much better tasting and it’s not that hard to make. I strongly recommend chooses to make the sauce from scratch.
Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
Real Mom Kitchen
- 12 chicken tenders
- olive oil
- 2 zucchinis sliced into half moons
- 2 bell peppers any color, cut into chunks (I used an equal amount of mini ppeppers so I could get 3 colors of peppers)
- ½ pineapple peeled and cut into spears
- 1 red onion cut into chunks
For the teriyaki sauce:
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Coconut Rice I have a recipe for the Instant Pot or the rice cooker
- In a sauce pan, whisk together the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat to a bowl for 1 minute or so until thickened. Set aside.
- In a bowl, drizze the vegetables with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss until coated with the oil. Now if you choose the grill basket for cooking the veggies - place in the grill basket and grill until tender. If you are going for the oven version place on a baking sheet and cook at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until tender, stirring half way through cooking. Keep warm.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Coo the chicken on the grill alson with the pineapple. They should both takes about 2 minutes per side. The pineapple may cook a little faster.
- To serve, ad a scoop of coconut rice to the botton to a bowl. Top with 2 chicken tenders, a couple of pineapple spears and a spoonful of veggies. The drizzle with the teriyaki sauce and enjoy. Serves 6.