This grilled key lime chicken recipe is what inspired the coconut lime rice recipe that I shared yesterday. I wanted something that would pair well with the chicken.
Now you can use chicken breasts or chicken tenders for this recipe. If you use chciken breasts, you really should give the chicken all day to soak in the marinade. However, I like to use chicken tenders. THey only have to sit in the marinade for 4 hours. Plus when you grill them, it only takes 2 minutes per side to cook them. They are super fast!
This recipe also asks for key lime juice. Now, you can subtitute regular lime juice if you really want to. However, the best flavor comes when you use the key lime juice in the recipe. This chicken is also really good when you eat it along with the coconut lime rice.
- 15 chicken tenderloins or 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup key lime juice
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Place chicken in a gallon sized ziplock bag.
- In a bowl, whisk together oil, key lime juice, salt, paprika, basil, onion powder, thyme, and garlic powder. Pour mixture in the bag with the chicken. Seal and refrigerate for 4 hours for tenderloins or 8 hours for breasts. Remove chicken from marinade 1 hour before cooking.
- Grill the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. If using tenderloins it only takes 2 minutes per side. Serves 5-6.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from Plain Chicken.