Chili for dinner is a Halloween tradition at our house and this easy chili pot pie is a fun and tasty variation.
You can change up a regular bowl of chili by making this chili pot pie with cornbread crust. You only need 4 ingredients to make the chili. Or feel free to use your own chili if it is on the thicker side. Then you make a quick and easy corn bread batter to make the crust.
For the chili, you just need some ground beef along with some tomato sauce, kidney beans, and a package of chili seasoning. Once you brown the beef and remove any excess grease, it’s time to mix in the other 3 ingredients. Once this is all combined you just need to give it 10 minutes to simmer and develop the flavors.
Now, these are individual pot pies. So you just add 1 cup of chili to each 9 oz ramekin. You may have more chili that needed. You can try to make a 5th pot pie with the extra.
Next is the cornbread crust. It’s a simple thing to make using 6 ingredients. You start by mixing some melted butter and sugar together. Then you mix in an egg. Last you add in the buttermilk, baking soda, flour, corn meal and salt. Mix together with a fork. Add 1/2 cup of the batter on top of each ramekin full of chili. Then just bake for about 20 minutes. Last thing I like to do is sprinkle some cheddar cheese on top of the cornbread to melt. Then serve each pot pie with some sour cream.
- GROUND BEEF
- TOMATO SAUCE
- KIDNEY BEANS
- CHILI SEASONING
- BAKING SODA
- SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
- SOUR CREAM
Chili Pot Pie
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz kidney beans
- 1 1.25 oz pkg chili seasoning
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ tsp salt
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef and drain off any excess grease.
- Mix in tomato sauce, undrained kidney beans, and chili seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, add melted butter and sugar and mix together. Add in the egg and stir to combine.
- Add in the buttermilk, baking soda, flour, cornmeal, and salt. Mix with a fork, just until combined.
- Spoon 1 cup of chili into four 9oz. ramekins. Spread 1/2 cup of the cornbread batter evenly over each ramekin, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees until cornbread in cooked all the way through, about 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle the corn bread with some shredded cheese. Place back in the oven for a minute or so, just to melt the cheese. Serve with sour cream. Makes 4-5 servings.