Dinner in 15 minutes, yep, that is what I have for you all today! This cornbread waffles with chili comes together in no time. You top it with canned chili (or leftover homemade chili if you have it).
Think of it like a Navajo taco. You fix it the same way, it just begins with a tasty cornbread base instead of a fry bread base.
You can also get as crazy as you want with the toppings. I used what I had on hand – cheese, sour cream, green onion, and sliced olives! It was a hit with the family and will now be a great go to meal when I’m in a pinch.
- 2 (8.5 oz) boxes Jiffy cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 2 (15 oz) cans of your favorite chili (I like Hormel) or about 4 cups leftover homemade chili, heated
- desired toppings – grated cheese, sour cream, diced green onion, diced tomato, salsa, slice olives, salsa, shredded lettuce, etc.
- In a bowl, combine the cornbread mix, eggs, butter, and milk. Be sure not to over mix, mix just until combined.
- Using the batter, cook waffles in your waffle maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- Top each waffle with the heated chili followed with desired toppings. Makes 8-12 waffles depending on the size of your waffle maker. (I got 12)
Recipe adapted from Bless This Mess Please.