This post contains affiliate links.
This simple homemade easy creamy ravioli sauce is a tasty way to serve up refrigerated or frozen ravioli.
Instead of serving refrigerated or frozen with red or white sauce from a bottle, take a little extra time to make this amazing easy creamy ravioli sauce. Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you off. It really is so easy to make and so worth it.
First up is to begin with a simple roux from butter and flour. Then you add in a little garlic and tomato paste along with some onion powder, basil, oregano, and mustard powder. This is where all the flavor to this sauce comes in.
Next you are going to slowly add in some chicken broth followed by some half and half. You want to bring it to a boil and allow to thicken. Then you add in some cream cheese, canned petite diced tomatoes, and parmesan cheese. Simmer until is all melted and well combined. I love the pop of juicy goodness you get with those pieces of tomatoes in there.
Finally, it’s time for the ravioli. You can serve it over the pasta or toss it together. I prefer to toss the pasta in the sauce. I love it with cheese ravioli. However, you can use meat ravioli or tortellini. You can even serve it over regular cooked pasta. However, I think it’s even better with the extra cheesy goodness from the ravioli.
This sauce is a nice balance of creamy white sauce with tomatoes. I love the pop of juicy goodness you get with those pieces of petite diced tomatoes in there. There is plenty of sauce so could could get by with adding in more cooked ravioli if needed.
- SALTED BUTTER
- TOMATO PASTE
- ONION POWDER
- DRIED BASIL
- DRIED OREGANO
- MUSTARD POWDER
- CHICKEN BROTH
- HALF AND HALF
- CANNED PETITE DICED TOMATOES, (I USED THE ITALIAN STYLE WITH ADDED GARLIC, BASIL, AND OREGANO)
- CREAM CHEESE
- PARMESAN CHEESE
- REFRIGERATED OR FROZEN CHEESE RAVIOLI
Easy Creamy Ravioli Sauce
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, drained (I used the Italian Style with added garlic, basil, and oregano)
- 1 ½ oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 20 oz. refrigerated or frozen cheese ravioli, cooked according to pkg. directions
- parsley, to garnish
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste, onion powder, basil, oregano, and mustard powder. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add on the chicken broth , stirring continuously. Then do the same thing with the half and half. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Simmer until thickened.
- Add in the cream cheese, tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese.
- Add in the cooked ravioli and gently toss to combine. Garnish with Parsley and extra Parmesan cheese to serve. Serves 6.
Recipe is adapted from The Cozy Cook.