Rice krispie treats get a fall makeover with the addition of caramel! Kids and adults can’t resist the the gooey caramel goodness in these easy caramel rice krispie treats.
The recipe itself consists of the usual butter, marshmallows , and rice krispies cereal. The sweet caramel aspect for these caramel rice krispie treats comes in with the addition of sweetened condensed milk and actual caramels. You can use the good old Kraft caramel squares. They work great for this. However, I use a combination of the Kraft caramels and some Mrs. Call’s sea salt caramels I picked up at Costco. I loved the added sea salt flavor they added to these bars.
Now my husband is not a big rice krispie treat fan like me. However, he loved these and couldn’t get enough of them. The other thing that is funny is he is not a big caramel fan either. This tells me they should be a hit with EVERYONE.
Now to make these, you start by melting the caramels in a large pot withe the butter. Then you mix in the sweetened condensed milk until combine. Now it’s time for those fluffy mini marshmallows. mix them in until melted and combined. Then it’s time to add in the rcie kripies cereal. Once the cereal is coated it’s time to add the mixture to a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.. Here’s the kicker though. You need to allow these to cool to room temperature. Once they cool, you place them in the frisdge to chill. I think these are best enjoyed coold. They are also easier to cut into nice squares.
- CARAMEL SQUARES
- SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK
- MINIATURE MARSHMALLOWS
- RICE KRISPIE CEREAL
Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
Real Mom Kitchen
- 16 oz caramel squares unwrapped
- ½ butter
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 10 oz bag plus 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 9 cups rice krispie cereal
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray, and set it aside. Measure the rice krispie cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In large pot, melt the butter and the unwrapped caramels over medium heat until combined until smooth. Mix in sweetened condensed milk until combined.
- Add in the marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the rice krispe cereal and stir until all of the cereal is coated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press to even out. Allow it to cool to room temperature and then chill in the refrigerator until cold. Cut into squares. We like to eat these cold. Serves 15.
This recipe is adapted from My Recipe Treasures.