I have another simple treat for Valentine’s. Regular rice krispie treats get a fun makeover just for Valentine’s Day with the addition of some red velvet cake mix and a drizzle of white chocolate on top. The cake mix give these sweet krispie treats their beautiful color along with some additional flavor. You can just cut them into squares or use a metal heart cookie cutter for fun heart shapes. If you make the heart shapes, then you can eat all the scraps!
I also came across this cute free Happy Heart Day printable that would be prefect to add to this. Just place each krispie in a cellophane bag, tie it with a cute ribbon, and add the printable.Print
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (10.5 oz) bag mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup Ducan Hines red velvet cake mix
- 8 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Spray a 9 x 13 dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium low heat.
- Add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are melted and combined well with the butter.
- Whisk in the cake mix until well blended.
- Add the rice krispies and stir until cereal is well coated.
- Remove from heat and add to the prepared 9 x 13 pan. Use a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper to press the cereal into pan until level.
- Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, cut into squares with a knife or use a heart shaped cookie cutter and cut into heart shapes.
- Place white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Place chocolate into a quart sized freezer bag. Snip off the corner of the bag with scissors creating a small hole. Pipe white chocolate over the krispie treats and allow chocolate to cool. Makes 18 treats.
Recipe adapted from Pass the Sushi.