Valentines is fast approaching and I have a weeks worth of recipes to help get ya ready. First up is roll out heart shaped red velvet cookies. And guess what? It’s made with a cake mix! These are easy to make and it’s red velvet, so you know it’s tasty!
They have a little chewiness to them. That is the great part of using the cake mix. Of course, they are topped with cream cheese frosting. The trick with these is to not over cook them. However, if you would rather have a crispy cookie, you can cook them longer.
Heart Shaped Red Velvet Cookies
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 8 oz light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- splash or 2 of milk if needed
- In a mixing bowl, add the cake mix, 1/2 cup softened butter and egg. Mix with a mixer until it resembles cookie dough. This takes a couple of minutes. No worries, it does eventually combine to resemble a cookie dough.
- Place dough if the refrigerator for 15 minutes. While dough chills preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Then roll dough out to about 1/8 of an inch thick and cut into heart shapes. I used this Wilton cookie cutter.
- Place on cookie sheet with enough room in between these cookies will spread about 1/4 an inch while baking. You can re-roll scraps. I would place scraps after re-rolling a second time in the fridge for 15 minutes again and then do a 3rd and/or 4th rolling out and you should be done cutting out the cookies.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Allow to cool on the sheet for 1 minute before moving to a cooking rack.
- When cookies are cooled, mix all of the frosting ingredients together with a mixer until well combined. Frost on cooled cookies. Makes 14 cookies but can vary on the size cookie cutter you use.
Recipe adapted from Red Couch Recipes