After the fabulous “best” rice krispie treats that I shared a few weeks ago, I was wanting to make a variation on them. I ended up deciding on making peanut butter rice krispie treats. All of the fabulousness that the regular rice krispie treat has in it but with the addition of creamy delicious peanut butter!
The recipe itself isn’t much different. I did lower the butter just a smidge, since we were adding in 1/2 cup of peanut butter. However, that butter is still needed to make the marshmallow mixture the right consistency. There is also whole marshmallows mixed in after to mix in that rice krispie cereal.
Of course, we couldn’t leave out that secret ingredient of vanilla extract. Remember, it is best to use the real stuff and not imitation. You can use it but it doesn’t give you the same amazing flavor as the real stuff.
Again, you don’t want to press the mixture too firmly in the pan. You want a bar, but you want air in there too. Last is we want a nice generous bar, so it’s placed in a 9 x 9 inch pan. However, you can make the peanut butter rice krispie treats smaller and thinner by placing them in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- SALTED BUTTER
- MINI MARSHMALLOWS
- CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER
- PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
- RICE KRISPIES CEREAL
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Real Mom Kitchen
- 6 Tbsp salted butter
- 16 oz bag or 9 2/3 cups mini marshmallows divided
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- Spray a 9-inch square baking dish lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Take 1 cup of the mini marsh mallows and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in the remaining marshmallows. Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and peanut butter. Stir until peanut butter is melted. Add the cereal and gently stir until combined. Then add in the 1 cup of mini marshmallows that you set aside and gently stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Press GENTLY just until completely spread out. I put a plastic baggie on my hand and spray it with a little non-stick spray to press it in the pan.
- Allow to sit an 1 hour. You can refrigerate to get them to cool more quickly. Cut and enjoy! Makes 9 servings.
Recipe is adapted from Shugary Sweets.