Rice Krispie Treats have been around since 1939! The recipe was originally created to make the treats as a fundraiser for Camp Fire Girls. Kelloggs didn’t start to make the treats themselves and selling them until 1995, but other companies had been making their own versions of the treats and selling them prior to that.
They are a well loved sweet treat by almost everyone. These are easy to make and only take 3 ingredients. They even work as a treat for those with a gluten allergy. Believe it or not, my husband was one of those people that wasn’t a fan of the rice krispie treat. He said they were too hard.
Well with a few alterations to the recipe, you can make that beloved classic treat even more amazing. These also got the stamp of approval from my husband because these stay soft. Basically, this recipe changes the ratio of butter, rice krispies, and marshmallows used. This also adds in one more ingredients that ups the flavor. It’s vanilla extract! Give these a try the next time you want to make rice krispie treats.
The BEST Rice Krispie Treats
Real Mom Kitchen
- ¾ cup salted butter plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 10 oz bags mini marshmallows, divided
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 8 ½ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Grease a 9 x 13 dish with butter.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium low heat.
- Add in all but 2 cups of marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are melted and combined well with the butter.
- Add in the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Remove from the heat and add in the rice krispies and stir until cereal is well coated. Add in the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and stir. Don't oven mix, you want the marshmallows to stay as whole as possible.
- Add to the prepared 9 x 13 pan. Use a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper to press the cereal into pan until level.
- Allow to cool. Once cooled, cut into squares.
Recipe adapted from Once Upon a Chef.