I decided a while ago to try a recipe for Pancetta and Cinnamon Waffles that I saw Giada De Laurentiis make. It happen to be on the same episode that I saw her make the baked omelet that I have previously posted. I altered the recipe to a Bacon and Cinnamon Waffles.
Now I liked the whole idea of the recipe but her version did not impress me. I am not a fan the Belgian waffle mix she recommends in the recipe, but I gave it a shot. Still don’t care for that specific waffle mix. It is too dry and dense for me. Next time I’ll just use my own waffle recipe or if you have a favorite box mix that you like that would work too.
I did not add the nuts in the recipe either. My family are not fans of nuts, even though I love them. I didn’t have any on hand anyway. Also, I Real Mom Kitchenized the recipe by using bacon in place of the pancetta. I enjoyed the bacon in the waffle along with the cinnamon. However, the bacon got a little soft and chewy in the waffle. I would recommend just sprinkling the cooked bacon over the bacon and cinnamon waffles after they are cooked. I also doubled the recipe for my family. Overall it was delicious, just needed to be in a better waffle with the bacon on top.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I didn’t use these)
- 3 slices of bacon, diced and cooked until brown and crispy (Giada used pancetta)
- 3 cups Belgian waffle mix (Giada’s recipe recommended Kruteaz. I recommend using your favorite mix or homemade waffle recipe instead. If using a different mix, make the mix according to the directions on the package and exclude the egg, oil, and water listed in this recipe. Same thing with your own waffles just make the batter according to the recipe and exclude the eggs, water, and oil listed below)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread walnuts in and even layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until toasted. Allow to cool.
- Preheat Belgian waffle maker
- In a mixing bowl combine waffle mix, eggs, oil, and water. (I would use your favoite mix makde according to package direction or you own waffle recipe from scratch)
- Add cinnamon and salt to the waffle mix.
- Cook waffle in waffle maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- Sprinkle waffle with cooked bacon and toasted walnuts. Drizzle with syrup and serve.