It is Spring Brunch week here at Real Mom Kitchen. This is a week that I now look forward to each year. I love breakfast and at this time of year, I am just dying for Spring. Even if it isn’t looking like Spring outside, it can taste like Spring in the kitchen. Just like with these lucious Lemon Belgian Waffles with Blueberry Syrup. Plus, it gets me excited for actual arrival of Spring with it’s beautiful weather.
We are beginning this spring brunch week with one of my most favorite breakfast foods – waffles. These waffles get a nice Spring makeover with the addition of some bright and sunny lemon juice and lemon zest. I just love the fresh flavor that lemon adds to any recipe. It tastes like a burst of sunshine in my mouth.
My favorite way to eat waffles is topped with some kind of fruit topping and sweetened whipped cream. These lemon Belgian waffles get topped with a yummy homemade blueberry syrup. Blueberries are one of those fruits that accompany the flavor of lemon so well. I prefer to make the syrup with fresh blueberries. However, you can use frozen can too.
Lemon Belgian Waffles with Blueberry Syrup
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 6 eggs
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- sweetened whipped cream optional
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a sauce pan, combine blueberries, water, and sugar. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and cornstarch until blended and add to the sauce pan. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 5-10 minutes until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, milk, vanilla, lemon juice and sugar together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture along with the lemon zest. Whisk together just until smooth without over mixing.
- Cook in waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions. I got 6 waffles in my machine.
- Serve waffles topped with blueberry syrup and sweetened whipped cream if desired.
Waffle recipe adapted from Yammies Noshery.