Spring Brunch Week continues at RMK with my favorite next to waffles – french toast. I have loved french toast since I was a girl. My mom use to feed it to me in order to try to get some weight on me. I was too skinny. Why don’t I have that problem today? You are going to LOVE this Streusel Topped French Toast Bake.
So one thing about french toast is you can make a casserole version ahead of time, which is perfect for a spring brunch or Easter breakfast. The baked version is more like a bread pudding and the streusel topping on this makes it AMAZING! I knew I would love this because we love streusel coffee cake and pancakes! This is going to be one of my go-to french toast bakes from now on.
My family loved this streusel topped french toast bake. We love it so much I have already made it a second time. First time, I made it with french bread. The second time I made it with 8 leftover bolillo rolls from Sam’s Club. Both worked wonderfully. It would also be excellent made with a loaf of Challah bread.Print
- 1 loaf stale French bread or Challah bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- Grease or spray (with non-stick spray) a 9×13 baking dish.
- Place bread pieces in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Pour evenly over the bread, trying to get every piece wet with the batter.
- Cover the pan and place in the fridge overnight (at least 8 hours).
- In another bowl or in your food processor, add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until blended. Then add the butter cubes and pulse in your food processor or cut with a pastry blender until crumbly with pea sized pieces. Cover streusel mixture and refrigerate.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350. Uncover the 9 x 13 pan and sprinkle the streusel mixture all over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve warm topped with maple syrup. Serves 12-18.
Adapted from Lovin From the Oven.