It’s time for the annual lemon week here on RMK and we are starting with lemon poppyseed waffles with lemon butter syrup! This is seriously one of my favorite weeks to do on the blog. I am a huge lemon fan! I just love that bright citrusy flavor.
With Mother’s Day just around the corner, all of the lemony recipes this week would be perfect to serve mom or recommend to be served as mom.
We are starting off the week with a breakfast recipe. These waffles use the classic combination of lemon paired with poppyseed. Then it gets topped with a amazing lemon butter syrup, fresh berries, and whipped cream.
This is not your normal breakfast waffle and definitely worthy of serving for a special occasion. However, it is also wonderful to have just because it’s spring and lemon is wonderful!
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1–2 Tbsp poppyseeds
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp melted butter **note
- lemon butter syrup, fresh berries, and whipped cream
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour baking powder, salt, poppyseeds and sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, lemon peel, and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and whisk together just until combined. Then stir in the melted butter.
- Cook batter according to your waffle maker instructions. I use ½ batter for my regular waffle iron and 1 cup for my Belgian waffle maker. Makes 6 regular waffles or 3 Belgian waffles.
- Serve topped with lemon butter syrup, fresh berries and whipped cream.
**canola oil can be used instead
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 Tbsp evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1–2 Tbsp lemon zest
- dash of salt
- 2–3 drops yellow food coloring
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter and then add in the evaporated milk and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from the heat and add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and food coloring. Stir until well combined. Allow to cool slightly before serving. It will thicken more as it cools. Makes 3/4 cup syrup.