Today’s lemon recipe falls in the dessert category. These creamy lemon squares are like a no bake pie but it’s made in a 9 x 9 inch pan.
This starts with a crust made from store bought gingersnap cookies. If you haven’t had lemon and ginger together you are missing out. They surprisingly go really well together.
Then that spicy ginger crust gets filled with a no bake filling made from cream, sweetened condensed milk, and lemon juice. The filling will look a little too runny when you pour it into the pan, but trust me, it sets up after sitting in the fridge.
I really do think this dessert would also work well to freeze and serve if you want to. When frozen it would basically be a lemon ice cream on the crust.
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs (takes about 8 oz of cookies)
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 or so drops of yellow food coloring if desired
- Line a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the melter butter with the gingersnap crumbs. Pour into the lined 9 x 9 pan and press into an even layer in the bottom of the pan. Place in the refrigerator.
- In a bowl, whip the cream to firm peaks. Then fold in the sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and food coloring if desired.. It will look runny but just keep folding until smooth.
- Remove crust from the fridge and pour the cream mixture on top. Spread out even and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from The View From Great Island.