On rare occasions, I have the opportunity to just turn on The Food Network to watch whatever happens to be on at that moment. I recently had a chance to do that and saw an episode with Giada De Laurentiis. She was making breakfast recipes including an oven baked Swiss and Sausage Omelet.
The recipe below is one from that episode, but it’s my Real Mom Kitchenized version. The original recipe used a different sausage and less of it. Originally the recipe also called for Gruyere cheese, which is hard to find in a regular grocery store, plus it’s on the pricey side. I swapped it out for swiss cheese.
Instead of making individual omelets, this oven baked Swiss and sausage omelet recipe makes one big omelet for a crowd in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. This recipe turned out delish. I really loved the flavor that the onion and red pepper gave this recipe.
- OLIVE OIL
- MILD BREAKFAST SAUSAGE (I USED JIMMY DEAN)
- WHOLE MILK
- KOSHER SALT
- FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- RED BELL PEPPER
- SWISS CHEESE
- FRESH PARSLEY
Baked Swiss and Sausage Omelet
Real Mom Kitchen
- Butter for greasing baking dish
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small diced onion
- 12 ounces mild breakfast sausage I used Jimmy Dean
- 8 large eggs
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 ½ cups 4 ounces grated Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley you can sprinkle in some dried, but fresh tastes wonderful
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper and onion, cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove onion and pepper to a bow land set aside, in the same pan Add the sausage and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Set the pan aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, to taste, until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add the red bell pepper and onions, sausage, 1 cup of Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup of parsley. Stir in the onion mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.Cut the baked omelet into squares and sprinkle with remaining parsley before serving. Serves 6-9.