This autumn grilled ham and cheese sandwich will surprise you. The addition of the flavors of fall to a basic sandwich is surprisingly fantastic.
Apple is the addition that is incorporated for the autumn aspect of this autumn grilled ham and cheese sandwich. It comes in 2 forms. First, is thin slices of fresh apple. They add a nice crunch along with sweet juicy element to the sandwich.
The other version of apple is add in with apple butter. It adds a nice caramelized sweetness with a hint of fall spices. I was surprised at how much I love this addition. It gives a nice balance to the savory aspect of this sandwich.
Now for the ham!
The savory portion of the grilled cheese sandwich comes from the ham along with 2 cheeses. I selected black forest ham for the type of ham for the sandwich. For the cheese, there is sharp cheddar slices. I love it’s bold flavor.
Then there is also some brie cheese. It adds a nice creamy buttery flavor. Did you know they even sell brie in a spreadable tub now? I highly recommend it for this sandwich.
For the bread, I used sourdough. It’s a nice sturdy bread that will hold up to all the ingredients for this sandwich. You also get that tangy flavor with this bread. It just rounds out the umami experience of this sandwich. Since this is a grilled sandwich you also get a nice buttery crunch of the bread too. I absolutely love this sandwich and think that you will too! Give it a try.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of ham if I don’t have Black Forest ham?
Yes, you can use any ham variety that you prefer or have on hand. Honey ham would be another tasty option.
Should I peel the apple before slicing it for the sandwich?
It’s a personal preference. I enjoy the added texture and nutrients from the apple peel, so I leave it on. Otherwise, feel free to peel the apple.
Can I make the sandwich ahead of time?
It’s best to assemble and grill the sandwich just before serving to maintain it’s freshness and crispiness.
How can I make a vegetarian version of this grilled cheese?
Omit the ham and use a meatless alternative or simply focus on the Brie, apple slices, cheddar and apple butter for a delicious vegetarian option.
- SOURDOUGH BREAD – If sourdough isn’t your thing, just use a good Artisan bread.
- BRIE CHEESE – Look for the spreadable version. It works perfectly for this sandwich
- BLACK FOREST HAM – Black forest is my favoite but any deli ham will work.
- APPLE BUTTER – This is the surprise ingredient that makes this sandwich amazing.
- GALA APPLE – I love the gala apples, but any sweet apple will work. Honey crisp would be my other favorite.
- SHARP CHEEDAR CHEESE – It pairs so well with the ham.
- BUTTER – Spread this on the outside of the sandwich before grilling for a nice toast to the bread.
For more grilled sandwich recipes, try:
- BLT Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Amazing Patty Melt Sandwiches
- French Dip Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Grilled Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Autumn Grilled Ham and Cheese
Real Mom Kitchen
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 Tbsp Brie cheese
- ⅛ lb thinly sliced black forest ham
- 2 Tbsp apple butter
- 1 Gala apple sliced thin
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- butter for grilling
- Spread the Brie cheese evenly over one slice of bread. Follow with the ham, apple slices, apple butter, and cheddar cheese.
- Top with remaining slice of bread.
- Spread butter over the outside of the sandwich and grill in a skillet until both sides of the sandwich are golden brown.
- Slice in half and serve hot.
This recipe is adapted from Family Favorite Recipes.