When I was doing my recap of the best recipes for 2010 with Finding Joy in My Kitchen, I noticed she had a recipe for baked potato soup. However, I have several yummy versions of baked potato soup already on my site. Most of them include a creamy white base with potatoes in it. Then, the soup is topped off with cheese, green onion, and crumbled bacon. This super loaded baked potato soup takes it up a notch. It includes cheese in the base of the soup making it cheesy and creamy. Then it also includes broccoli. Consequently, you can see why I have called this recipe “Super Loaded Baked Potato Soup”.
I did make a few changes to the original recipe. Also, I simplified the process by adding frozen broccoli and upped the amount of cheese. I felt the soup needed more to get that cheese flavor across. Now, even though this is a cream based soup, it is on the healthier side. This soup does not include any butter in the base. It also only includes 1 cup of cream and 1 cup of milk, where my other favorite recipe uses 5 cups of milk, 1 cup of cream, and 1 cup of sour cream.
If you have a favorite baked potato soup recipe that you love you could easily adapt it to include the cheese and broccoli. However, I thought a lighter version would be appreciated. It was delicious and I know my waistline appreciated this lighter version.
- RUSSET POTAOTES
- SKIM MILK
- FROZEN CHOPPED BROCCOLI
- EXTRA SHARP CHEESE
- GARLIC POWDER
- BACON BITS
- LOW FAT SOUR CREAM
Super Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Real Mom Kitchen
- 5 cups diced russet potatoes
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup cream
- 12 oz bag frozen chopped broccoli thawed
- 2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup bacon bits
- low fat sour cream optional
- Place potatoes and onion in a large pot with enough water just to cover the potatoes. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Stir occasionally to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Mash the potatoes a few times with a potato masher.
- Whisk together flour and milk; stir in with the potatoes. Then mix in the cream. Simmer until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add broccoli, paprika, and garlic powder and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Just enough to warm the broccoli.
- Remove from the heat and add the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is all melted.
- Sprinkle each bowl with bacon bits and a spoonful of sour cream, if desired. Serves 6-8.
This photo is the original photo when this recipe was first posted in January 2011.