Want to enjoy a creamy soup with out any cream of milk in it? That is exactly what you get with this Crockpot Chicken and Potato Soup. The creaminess comes from potatoes.
Once the soup cooks, you remove the chicken and set it aside. Then you take 2 cups of the soup and puree it in a blender. This is what gives the soup it’s rich and creamy texture.
This crockpot chicken and potato soup includes potatoes, carrots, celery and onion for the vegetables. As far as protien goes, there is both bacon and chicken included. Spices used are garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
Now the amount of time this cook on high in the crockpot may concern you. However, no worries. It does cook that long on high. You just need to make sure you remove the chicken when it is cooked. It is ready in about 7 hours.
My family enjoyed this soup and din’t miss the fact that there was no milk or cream.
- RUSSET POTATOES
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREAST
- CHICKEN BROTH
- DRIED THYME
- SALT AND PEPPER
- FRESH PARSLEY
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cup diced celery
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- In a skillet, add the bacon and cook until brown. Add in the onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the onion mixture into a 6-quart slow cooker. Place the chicken breast on top. On top of the chicken, add the sliced potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken broth, thyme, salt, and black pepper.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are extremely soft. (Check the chicken at 7 hours. If cooked through, you can remove the chicken and refrigerate until the potatoes are tender and breaking apart.
- Remove the chicken breast from the soup if you haven’t already. Stir the potato soup vigorously to break up the potatoes and thicken the broth. I place 2 cups of the soup in a regular blender, puree – leaving the cracked to release steam. Then stir back into the soup.
- Shred or chop the chicken and add it back to the crockpot along with fresh parsley. Stir well. Serves 8.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted by A Spicy Perspective.