What would soup week be with out some kind of creamy cheesy soup? Nothing says comfort like a big bowl of soup that consists of a cheesy base with some veggies. Love it! This is one way to get the veggies in my kiddos.
Now this soup gets it’s cheesiness from Velveeta. The good thing is that the Velveeta is the only fattening thing in there. The rest is veggies, water, bouillon, milk and flour. No butter at all in this base! This recipe made just enough for my family of 5 to gobble up.
- 4 1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 1/4 cups milk (I used skim)
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 3/4 pound (12 OZ) Velveeta, cubed
- In a large stock pot, combine the potatoes, water, celery, carrots, onion, and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add 1 1/4 cup on the milk to the vegetable mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk until smooth. Slowly add the flour/milk mixture into vegetable mixture while stirring. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in parsley, salt, pepper, and cheese until cheese is melted.
Recipe Adapted from Taste of Home.