This Slow Cooker ham and potato soup is one you are gonna want to make during this year’s soup season. The slow cook does most of the work with this one. No need to stand over the stove top to get this delicious soup made.
You will need some diced potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, and ham along with some salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Then you are going to pour in some chicken broth. Then, it’s time to left the slow cooker do its magic. You can cook it on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
Once it cooks, you take a potato masher and give the soup a few mashes. You want about 1/3 of the potatoes to get mashed. This is gonna help thicken the soup.
Next, you whisk some flour in with some cream and mix it into the soup. You can use whole milk in place of the cream, if you prefer. Then, you will also mix in 1/2 cup of sour cream. Last thing, is to let it cook on high for another 15 minutes. It will allow the slow cooker ham and potato soup to thicken up.
Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
Real Mom Kitchen
- 8 cups russet potatoes diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 lb cubed ham
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (you can substitute with whole milk)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Add the potatoes, onion, carrot, celery, ham, Kosher salt, pepper , and chicken broth to your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours, or high 4-5 hours.
- Using a potato masher, mash about ⅓ of the potatoes.
- Whisk the the flour and heavy cream/milk. Mix into the soup. Add in sour cream and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for an additional 15 minutes to thicken.
Recipe adapted from Dinner Then Dessert.