Today’s recipe is one that I have had ever since I’ve been married. The recipe for these fried wontons (or egg rolls) came from a neighbor from where I grew up. It is definitely a favorite and would be perfect to make once December rolls around. Think holiday party appetizer or even new year’s eve appetizer.
The filling is easy to make. It’s made with chicken, chopped celery, chopped green onion, diced green chilies, and chili sauce. You can cook your own chicken but I usually opt for rotisserie chicken. It makes it so easy to make the filling this way.
Now, once when I went to buy wonton wrappers at the store I couldn’t find the size I needed. So I went ahead and purchased the large square wraps used for egg rolls. Then I rolled them just like egg rolls. I have to admit, I kind of like it better rolled up like an egg roll. Plus, I had left over wrappers that I used to create another delicious recipe using the wrapper as sheets of fresh pasta dough. I had an “ah ha” moment with those wrappers and am so glad that I did, so make sure to check out my baked manicotti recipe too. It is well worth it.
To serve these fried wontons (or egg rolls), I just serve them with some bottled sweet and sour sauce. However, I also have a fairly simple recipe to make your own sweet and sour sauce. Or if you like spice, use some Asian chili sauce to dip them in.Print
- 1 (16 oz) pkg wonton wrapper (or do them egg roll style with large square wraps)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 2 Tbsp. chili sauce (the kind that’s like spicy ketchup)
- 1 egg (if using the egg roll version this isn’t needed)
- sweet and sour sauce
- Mix chicken celery, onion, chilies, and chili sauce together.
- Beat egg. Wet 2 edges or wonton with egg. (This isn’t necessary with the egg roll version)
- Place 1 tsp of filling mixture in the wonton. (If doing the egg roll version fill with 2 Tbsp. of filling)
- Fold wonton over, 2 dry sides meeting 2 sides that have been wet with egg so it looks like a triangle. (With the egg rolll version just follow pkg. directions for folding and sealing)
- Fry both sides in hot oil until golden crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce.
This recipe was tested with Azumaya large square wraps.
This recipe come from a neighbor of mine.
This is the original photo from this post when it was first shared in January 2010.