I love a good patty melt. They are like a cross between a hamburger and a grilled cheese sandwich. Well, today I am sharing the recipe for these amazing patty melt sandwiches.
Now for a patty melt, you need a good bread as the base. I personally like rye bread. However, my family isn’t really fans of rye bread. As a result, I use sourdough bread. Either one works great. I like to get my bread from my local WinCo because the sourdough bread is shaped just like a regular loaf of sandwich bread.
Next, is the cheese. You need a good melty cheese on these. I like to use a combination of cheeses. So, I use munster and cheddar. Munster melts well and has a smooth, soft texture. The cheddar adds a nice sharpness in flavor.
The next componenet to these amazing patty melt sandwiches is caramelized onions. Grilled onions are nice but they are even butter when you cook them to the point of caramelization. It creates a depth of flavor and sweetness which is a great addition to this sandwich.
Now the patty itself is kept simple. Nothing crazy added to the beef here. Just some salt, pepper, and a little worchestershire sauce.
The last part of this sandwich is a sauce. It’s basically like a homemade thousand island dressing. It adds a creaminess and pop of flavor to this wonderful sandwich that you simply must try.Print
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp pickle relish
- For the caramelized onions:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large red onion, sliced and cut in half
- 1 tsp sugar
- For the patties:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
- For the sandwiches:
- 6 slices sourdough or rye bread
- butter for the bread
- 3 slices munster cheese
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the sauce. Place in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- For the caramelized onions, melt the 2 Tbsp of butter in a skillet. Add the onion and 1/2 tsp sugar. Cook over medium low heat stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes until onions have caramelized.
- In a bowl, mix the ground beef with the salt, pepper, and worchestershire sauce together. Shape into 3 patties. Cook in a skillet over medium heat until both sides are browned and the patties are cook all the way through.
- Butter the outside of all 6 slices of the bread. Assemble the sandwiches by placing 1 slice of bread butter side down. Spread some of the sauce over the bread. then top with a slice of munster and cheddar. Then place the patty on the bread and some of the caramelized onions. Finish by spreading some sauce on the unbuttered side of another slice of bread. Then place butter side up on the sandwich. Grill in the skillet until both sides are browned. Continue to make the other 2 sandwiches the same way. Makes 3 sandwiches.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: beef
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Recipe adapted from Small Town Woman.