What would happen if you combined a BLT sandwich with a grilled cheese sandwich? You would get these delicious BLT grilled cheese sandwiches.
The added bonus of grilled bread and melty cheese to your typical BLT takes the sandwich up to another level. The cooking process is a little different though to make this versus a tradtional grilled cheese. You cook this sandwich open faced style. This allows you to place a piece of lettuce in between the sandwich just before eating, cuz no boday wants warm and wilted lettuce on their sandwich.
These grilled BLT’s have American cheese on both pieces of bread. This encases the bacon, lettuce and tomato with that creamy melty American cheese! Make sure you pick a good bacon. I personally like Kirkland bacon or wright brand.
Another key point for any grilled cheese sandwich is to use REAL butter. The results of spreading real butter over the slices of bread produces a better flavor and the perfect level of crispness and golden brown color to the grilled bread.
- WHITE BREAD
- AMERICAN CHEESE SINGLES
- ROMA TOMATOES
- 8 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 16 slices American Cheese Singles
- 6–8 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 pieces of lettuce
- 2 roma tomatoes sliced thin
- To make each sandwich, take 2 slices of the bread and butter over one side of each piece.
- Add the slices of bread to the skillet butter side down.
- Top each piece with a slice of cheese. Top one piece with 4 slices of tomato and one with 1 1/2 to 2 slices of bacon.
- Cook the bread in the skilet over medium heat until both pieces are grilled to a light brown.
- Remove from skillet and place a piece of lettuce on the piece with the tomato. Then top with the other slice of bread. Serve immediately. Re peat the proccess to make the remaining 3 sandwiches. Makes 4 sandwiches.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
This recipe is adapted from The Pocket Change Gourmet.