When it comes to Mexican food, my protein of choice is usually beef or pork. I have a delicious slow cooker sweet pork barbacoa recipe to share with you today. It meat is excellent used in quesadillas, tacos, burritos, tostadas or on top of nachos.
In Mexico, barbacoa refers to meats slow cooked over an open fire or, more traditionally, in a hole dug in the ground covered with agave leaves. One traditional Mexican way of eating barbacoa is serving it on warm corn tortillas with salsa verde. They often eat these tacos with diced onions, chopped cilantro.
You clow cook this barbacoa in the slow cooker. This is full of flavor. It cooks with some brown sugar for sweetness and chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper for flavor.
Any time you use a slow cooker you need liquid to help keep the meat moist and juicy. This recipe uses chicken broth and a little tomato paste. This adds even more flavor and the tomato paste also add color to the meat.
I served this slow cooker sweet pork barbacoa on corn tortillas with lettuce, cheese, salsa, sour cream , and guacamole. Another great recipe my family loves.Print
- 3 lbs boneless pork roast
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Place pork roast in a slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix together brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add in the chicken broth and tomato paste. Whisk mixture until well blended.
- Return shredded roast to slow cooker and allow to rest on warm heat for 1 – 3 hours. Strain broth. Serve inside tacos, enchiladas or burritos or serve over nachos, salads or tostadas. Makes 8 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Po
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican