Grab your crock pot. You are gonna want to try this crock pot chicken and rice for dinner soon. Even though this is a crock pot recipe it only takes 2 1/2 hours to cook. Much shorter than most crock pot recipe.
The base of this recipe is brown rice. Don’t use any other rice, the cook time is different. Brown rice is what works time wise for this to turn out. This dish is comfort food as we still brave the winter cold.
This crock pot chicken and rice recipe also calls for a shallot. A shallot is like a cross between an onion and garlic. So you get 2 flavors in one ingredients. There is also veggies in here too. You have both carrots and peas.
Chicken broth is added in to cook the rice. You get flavor in there too with the chicken broth. As far as spices go, this dish uses garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Sour cream is added at the very end of cooking to add some creaminess. There is also cheese in there too. I like the white cheddar for this dish. However, you could use sharp cheddar instead if you want to.Print
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 ½ cups diced carrots
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup freshly grated white cheddar cheese (sharp cheddar will work too)
- Spray a 5-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add in the rice, carrots, shallot, and Dijon mustard, and stir to combine. Arrange the chicken breasts on top.
- Sprinkle with the chicken with the garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pour the chicken broth around the chicken. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken into a plate and cover to keep warm. Stir the rice, vegetables, and broth, then re-cover and continue cooking on high until the rice is tender for about 1 additional hour.
- Uncover and stir in the peas and sour cream. Dice the chicken. Stir it in along with with ¼ cup cheese. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Re-cover and cook for a few additional minutes on high until the cheese is melted. Serve warm. Serve 4.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American