So with all the snacks last week I figured we would start this week off with a main dish recipe. However, the baking bug has got a hold of me and I have some more sweet treat that I wanted to share with you before Halloween. So there will be some more treats this week. Then for the week of Oct 25-30 it will be all things pumpkin. I do promise to have at least one savory dish for you that week.
Today’s recipe is one I created after seeing a recipe for sloppy joes over at Taste and Tell.
I was lucky enough to meet Deborah from Taste and Tell when I went to Baking with Betty. I was so glad to get to meet her. Anyway, her sloppy joe recipe used tomato soup just like mine but included a bunch of onion and celery. So I made the decision to merge Debora’s recipe and my recipe together and see if I could trick my kids into eating sloppy joes filled with celery and onion. I need to get my healthy in for them where ever I can.
Guess what? It totally worked. No one complained, no one questioned, they just gobbled up the sloppy joes. The veggies also so made the mixture moist and delicious! So try it on your kids. I finely mince the celery and onion in my food processor to hide them in the sloppy joes. However, you can just dice them if you prefer. Sloppy joes were also a Halloween tradition for my husband’s family when he was growing up. These would be great to feed your little ghouls and goblins before they head out trick or treating or you can also keep the meat warm in a crock pot and feed them as the come back.
Super Sloppy Joes
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 ½ cups finely minced celery I use a food processor to mince them
- 1 ½ cups finely minced onion I use a food processor to mince them
- 1 can 10 3/4 oz condensed tomato soup
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp or more barbecue sauce
- 8 hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, brown hamburger along with the onion and celery over medium heat.
- Add the soup, salt, chili powder, sugar and barbecue sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. You can add more barbecue sauce to make it the consistency you like. Serve on buns.