I have a couple of sloppy joe recipes that I tend to always make. My mom’s recipe being one of them. That was, up until I tried this recipe for salsa sloppy joes. My family are sloppy joe fans!
This version is simple and tasty. It is a fun and flavorful change. It is made with ingredients I always keep on hand. You only need six ingredients. The items you need are similar to my go-to recipe from my mom. Instead of bbq sauce you use salsa. The salsa really adds nice flavor to the sloppy joes. My mom’s recipe uses white sugar while this recipe uses brown sugar. The change adds to the depth of flavor.
For mom’s sloppy joes, we like to add a slice of processed cheese. This version adds pepper jack cheese to each sloppy joe. I love the pepper jack cheese that is added. It compliments the kick from the salsa so well. You can get six to 8 sloppy joes from this recipe.
- GROUND BEEF
- CHUNKY SALSA
- CONDENSED TOMATO SOUP
- BROWN SUGAR
- PEPPER JACK CHEESE
- HAMBURGER BUNS
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 6–8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 6 large or 8 small hamburger buns
- Brown ground beef in skillet and drain.
- Add salsa, tomato soup, and brown sugar. Cover and cook on medium low for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on hamburger buns topped with a slice of pepper jack cheese. Serves 6-8.
Recipe adapted from Mostly Homemade Mom.