If you want something bbq for Memorial day dinner, but don’t want to grill, these chicken sloppy joes could be what you are looking for. This makes enough for 6 servings but can easily be doubled or tripled.
This does start with cooked and shredded chicken. Rotisserie chicken is a great option for these chicken sloppy joes. Or I like to cook big batches of chicken breasts in my slow cooker with some seasonings. Then I shred it and put in in freezer bags and freeze. Then I have cooked chicken for recipes just like this ready to go when I need it.
Once you have the chicken, then you need the sauce. This is simple easy and you probably keep most of the ingredients on hand. You will need a 15 oz can of tomato sauce. Then you add in some prepared yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Once you have all the sauce ingredients with the chicken, you just need to bring it all to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes. You just want to give the sauce ingredients some time to simmer and warm everything through. So quick, so easy, and pretty inexpensive.
Now I do toast my buns for these. They are pretty saucy and I don’t like a soggy bun. Toasting the bun ads a layer of crispness to prevent that soggy bun. This is a must in my book, so don’t skip it.
- COOKED AND SHREDDED CHICKEN
- TOMATO SAUCE
- BROWN SUGAR
- YELLOW MUSTARD
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- GARLIC POWDER
- RED PEPPER FLAKES
- HAMBURGER BUNS
Chicken Sloppy Joes
Real Mom Kitchen
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- a dash of red pepper flakes
- 6 hamburger buns
- softened butter
- In a large sauce pan, add in the chicken, tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Heat over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Butter inside of buns and broil in the oven until toasted. Serve chicken on the toasted buns. Serves 6.
This recipe is adapted from $5 Dinner Mom.