This is my Mom’s Sloppy Joes recipe. She has made as long as I can remember. As a result, I have been making it since I got married 14 years ago. It’s a recipe I love and served to my own family once I had one. It is very quick and simple. It’s a great recipe for those busy nights.
First thing for mom’s sloppy joes is you’ll need to brown up some ground beef in a skillet along with some chopped onion. In a pinch, I have used some dried minced onion in it’s place. However, the fresh onion is always the best option if you have it.
After you drain off any excess grease, you add in some condensed tomato soup, sugar, and barbecue sauce. I like to use barbecue sauce with a smoky or hickory flavor to it. Give it a little time to simmer and it’s time to serve.
We like to serve it on buns along with a slice of American cheese. However, you can always skip the cheese. It isn’t how mom would traditionally serve it but my family loves the addition.
- CONDENSED TOMATO SOUP
- BARBECUE SAUCE
- HAMBURGER BUNS
- AMERICAN CHEESE
Mom's Sloppy Joes
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1/4-1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 10 3/4 oz can condensed tomato soup
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp or more barbecue sauce
- 8 hamburger buns
- 8 slices of american cheese if desired
- Brown together the hamburger and onion.
- Add the soup, sugar and barbecue sauce to the beef mixture and simmer for 5 minutes. You can add more barbecue sauce to make it the consistency you like. Serve on buns with cheese slices if desired. Serves 8.