This post may contain affiliate links.
A few weeks ago, I had some bananas that needed to be turned into something. I wanted to make a sweet treat and this simple banana cake is what I ended up creating. It is delicious. I think my husband finished off half the cake himself.
The cake is moist and flavorful. The sour cream frosting was the perfect accompaniment. The sour cream gave the sweet frosting just enough tang. You could even turn the banana cake into a sheet cake. Just be sure to double the frosting.
Remember that I will be appearing on Studio 5 today at 11 am!
- VANILLA CAKE MIX
- BAKING SODA
- BAKING POWDER
- VERY RIPE MASHED BANANAS
- POWDERED SUGAR
- SOUR CREAM
Simple Banana Cake with Sour Cream Frosting
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 whole eggs
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 very ripe mashed bananas
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix, water, oil, eggs, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Beat with a mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add bananas and blend well.
- Grease & flour a 9 x 13 pan. Add batter to the pan and bake following the instructions on box.
- Cool cake after baking.
- In another bowl, add the powdered sugar, sour cream, butter, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy.
- Frost cake with frosting. Store cake in the fridge.
I made this cake last night…both my daughter & my husband told me that it’s absolutely delicious. Only thing I did different was used cream cheese instead of sour cream in the frosting. Recommend!!!
I am going to make this recipe. I am assuming that the bananas get added along with the other ingredients even though it does not state that in the instructions.
I have been looking for a good banana cake recipe! I can’t wait to try this.
I’m always looking for new ways to use bananas – love this!
yum! I’ve got 3 ugly bananas just waiting to be used up so I’m trying this this afternoon.
Thanks! Love your recipes!
I adore banana cake/muffins/etc. and this cake looks so moist. Good luck on Studio 5 today!
This cake looks wonderful! I am always looking for new ways to use up those old bananas! Good luck on your news segment!