What if you combined a sloppy joe with a grilled cheese sandwich? You would get the amazing sandwich that I am sharing with you today which I am calling a sloppy grilled cheese.
You get the buttery toasted bread and melty cheese from the grilled cheese with that saucy and tangy filling from a sloppy joe, truly the best of both. To quote Hannah Montana , “You get the best of both world’s.” (Sorry, my daughter had a Hannah Montana obsession for a bit there.) Be it ever so messy but ever so tasty, the sloppy grilled cheese will make your tummy smile.
For those of you who couldn’t see my appearance yesterday on Studio 5, you can see it by going to this link. I shared a recipe that is one of the 25 exclusive cookbook recipes. If you have the cookbook you can find it on page 112 and it is perfect paired with divine breadsticks (also in the book on page 34) !Print
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 10–12 slices white bread
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet brown beef with union until full cooked. Drain off any grease.
- Add mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar to the beef. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread.
- For each sandwich, place one slice of bread, butter side down into a skillet.
- Top with a little cheddar cheese, some of the beef mixture, and additional cheddar cheese.
- Place an additional slice of bread on top, butter side up, creating the sandwich.
- Cook over medium heat until both sides of the sandwich are toasted golden brown. Be careful when you flip it so the cheese and sloppy joe filling don’t fall out.
- Repeat until all 5-6 sandwiches are made.
Adapted from Blog Chef.