Enjoy the flavors of Philidelphia with a speedy twist. These quick philly chicken cheesesteak sandwiches are pefect for those busy nights when time is short. This recipe delivers the mouthwatering goodness of the classic cheesesteak but with chicken in place of the beef.
The main thing to make these philly chicken cheesesteak sandwiches come together so fast is to use kitchen sears to slice the chicken breasts into thin slices. This way the chicken will cook up in no time. You also add flavor to the chicken with some Italian seasoning.
Then you need those delicous vegetables in the classic cheesesteak. You can stick to just peppers and onions. However, I also love the addition of mushrooms. Not all of my family likes the vegetables, so I cook the veggies in a separate skillet from the chicken. That way those who want veggies can add them on and those who don’t like them can leave them off.
Then don’t forget about the cheese. I add the provole on top of the chicken once it’s cooked. Then give it a minute or to to melt before compiling the sandwich. Serve it up on a good roll. Traditionally it’s on a soft Itaialian roll or baguette. I like to get the hoagie rolls from my local Kroger bakery. The roll just needs to be soft but sturdy enough to be an ideal vessel for that filling.
To finish off my sandwich, I like to serve it up with a little mayonnaise on the bun. Tis is not usually found on a traditional Philly cheesesteak sandwich. However, I personally love the additional creaminess and flavor that it adds to the sandwich. These sandwiches are the perfect comfort food without the wait. Savor the flavor of thie fuss-free dinner thatis sure the please the whole family!
- OLIVE OIL
- CHICKEN BREASTS
- GARLIC POWDER
- ITALIAN SEASONING
- RED BELL PEPPER
- PROVOLONE CHEESE
- HOAGIE ROLL
Philly Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Real Mom Kitchen
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into thin strips (I use kitchen shears)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- ½ medium white or yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5-6 slices provolone cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls split in half lengthwise
- mayonnaise optional for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, add the chicken and season with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Toss until evenly coated and cook for 7-8 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile is a separate skillet, melt the butter and add the mushrooms, pepers, and onions. to cook the vegetables. Cook for 5-6 minutes until they start to soften. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, then add the garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes, until you can smell the garlic and the veggies are cooked.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, top with the cheese slices and allow to melt.
- Serve the chicken on the rolls and top with some of the vegetable mixture. Serve with mayonnaise if desired. Serves 4.
This recipe is adapted from Dinner, Dishes, and Desserts.