I really love cheesesteak sandwiches. There is just something about that beef loaded on a soft rolls topped with peppers and onions then slathered in cheese. I do like the addition of mushrooms too! So I was curious how a version would work to make Slow Cooker Cheesesteak Sandwiches.
It is not quite the same but they are tasty and easy to make. The meat cooks in the slow cooker with onions and other seasonings. Then during the last hour you add an onion and pepper to the slow cooker. The meat and veggies are more juicy than the usual cheesesteak but it still works.
- 2 1/2 lb beef roast
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 pepper, sliced
- 12 slices of provolone
- 6 hoagie or sub rolls (I used Brat buns that you can get at Sam’s or Costco)
- Place beef, broth, soy sauce, garlic, and 1 of the onions in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low about 8 hours.
- Then add the remaining onion along with the pepper and cook for another hour on low.
- Shred meat and return to the slow cooker.
- Open sub rolls and place on a baking sheet. Place a slice of provolone on each side and broil in the oven until cheese is melted and bread is slightly crunchy.
- Remove meat and veggies from slow cooker using a slotted spoon and serve on buns. Makes 6 sandwiches.
Recipe adapted from Raining Hot Coupons.