This post may contain affiliate links.
You are going to love these homemade sausage breakfast bowls. My daughter loves those frozen Jimmy Dean ones you can get from the store. These homemade ones are even better.
These homemade sausage breakfast bowls begin with a base of Obrien hashbrowns. You can cook them however you prefer to. I don’t like doing them stove top because I’m already at the stove for the sausage and eggs. Now, I prefer to cook them in my air fryer or in the oven. I have included how to do this in the recipe.
Next is sausage. You can brown up whatever sausage you like, but I use the already cooked Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles. I just brown them in the pan for a few minutes. Then set the crumbles aside and use the same pan for the eggs.
Now it’s time for the eggs. I just scramble them up in the skillet. Once they are almost done, I remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with some shredded cheddar cheese. Then place a lid on top to contain the heat and melt the cheese.
At this point you are going to assemble the bowls. You can eat them immediately, or you can place them in freezer safe containers and refrigerate or freeze.
- OLIVE OIL
- FROZEN O’BRIEN HASH BROWNS
- JIMMY DEAN’S FULLY COOKED TURKEY SAUSAGE CRUMBLES
- 50% LESS FAT SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
- LARGE EGGS
- SALT AND PEPPER
Homemade Sausage Breakfast Bowls
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the hash browns with the olive oil until well combined.
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Divide and spread the hash browns in a single layer on the two baking sheets. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes in oven. Turn and bake for another 10 minutes if cooking in the oven and cook at 5 minute intervals until they are crispy and deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and warm the sausage crumbles until warmed and browned. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together eggs with some salt and black pepper until well blended. Using the same pan as the sausage, add the eggs into pan and cook to scrambled egg. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and allow cheese to melt.
- To prepare the bowls, divide the potatoes, sausage, scrambled eggs between six bowl. To serve later divide between six freezer safe containers. These will store in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, remove from the freezer. Heat in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, or until heated through. From the refrigerator warm for about 45 seconds until heated.
For air fryer hash browns, place hash browns in air fryer in a single layer. You may need to cook in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.)Cook 10-12 minutes in the air fryer, shaking basket half way through)
This recipe is adapted from The Pound Dropper.