I have noticed something in serveral sandwich shops that also offer salads. Many have a spot on their menu that says “turn any sandwich into a salad”. That is where I drew inspiration from for today’s recipe for easy Italian sub salads. It’s the same place the inspiration for the bacon cheese burger salad that I shared earlier this week came from.
So, this salad includes everything you could find in an Italian sub sandwich minus the bread. Now, I only used ham in this salad. However, feel free to use a combination of meats and just reduce the amount of ham used to compensate for it. You could use salami, pepperoni, capecollo, or mortadella in any combination.
As far as the veggies go, I included pickles, banana peppers, cucumbers, mini bell peppers, and grape tomatoes. I also included provolone cheese in there too.
Last to finish it all of is a simple dressing made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and italian dressing. I kept it just like the oil, vinegar, and seasonings I usually add to my Italian sub sandwich. This does make for a tart dressing. If you want it sweeter, you could add in a little sugar to taste. These easy Italian sub salads are delicious!Print
- 20 slices smoked deli ham
- 6 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 12 slices provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 12 pickles, chopped
- 16 banana peppers
- 2 cucumbers, sliced into half moons
- 4 mini bell peppers, cut in half and sliced
- 12 grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- In a large bowl, add all of the meat, lettuce, cheese, and veggies. Toss together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the salad ingredients. Drizzle half the amount of dressing over the salad and toss together. Divide salad between 4 bowls. Serve with the remaining dressing on the side to adjust as needed for individual tastes. Makes 4 salads.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Italian
Recipe adapted from Kasey Trenum.